Shelby Park, named after the land’s original owner Dr. John Shelby, is a 336-acre urban multi-use park located along the Cumberland River that was opened to the public on July 4, 1912.
The park features a lake named Sevier Lake which is an ideal site for casual fishing, playgrounds, baseball fields, a dog park, softball fields, 9 and 18-hole golf courses, picnic shelters and a community center with basketball, tennis and multi-use courts. It offers a great view of the river and viewing opportunities for migratory birds and other wildlife.
Centrally located along Shelby Avenue, Shelby Park is open to the public for free but fees are collected for the use of golf courses, picnic shelters, and softball and baseball fields. It is open daily from dawn until 11:00 p.m.
Prior to the opening of Shelby Park, the land where it stands used to be the site of an amusement park owned by a real estate development company, which opened 40 years after the death of Dr. John Shelby. The Park board purchased the first 151 acres of the land when the company went bankrupt in 1903. Then the development of Shelby Park followed, making it as a state-owned park.